Thursday, April 20, 2006

And so the Polish Phase begins...

Now that animation's complete, it's on to polish. Since I'm pretty much the director here, I usually know exactly what I want, so I'm able to polish pretty heavily as I go. Hence, there's not an overwhelming amount to clean up. Lots of camera fixes for things that just aren't making sense cinematically (such as the boy falling out of frame). There are animation things I've noticed that I've always just been saying 'Yeah, I'll get it in polish', which, I guess is what I'm doing now. I have a list of about 15-20 things I need to tackle, which shouldn't take too long.

I think overall doing this short was a good idea. It's a good indication of my current skill level, and doing it has also shown me that I have a long way to go. It will be a while before I do another one. I'd like to focus more on short dialogue pieces for a while, and really break down what makes a good performance. I value that this was a silent piece -- it's helped me realize how to show a character's thought process without the use of dialogue.

No comments: